About Us

Welcome to Movie Crew Review! Where three of the most rad-tastic New Yorkers bring you correct and indisputably sound opinions. On a scale of 5 wormy apples and whether or not Jelani fell asleep, we will supply you with your fix of reviews of new releases (that we see EVERY TUESDAY), classics, and random movies that we find and add to our colossal (yet ever growing) VHS collection. It is our civic duty as movie buffs to right wrongs, deliver fair and truthful reviews, and fight crime! We’re shaking our heads at the idiotic and inaccurate reviews seen in newspapers, television, and even here on the internet. So, instead of going to the movies based on a review you read in the paper (we have learned, you cannot trust ANY of them!) and being sorely disappointed, let us guide you through the pearly gates of truly entertaining entertainment. Between the cynical Brian, the easily entertained (and also bored) Jelani, and the chock-full-of-actual-movie-knowledge Ryan, all of your questions about whether a movie is crap or gold will be answered. So open your mind, join the ranks of Movie Crew. Don’t trust those other reviewers, trust US!

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Tuesday Review: "Real Steel"

Brian's 2-Cents
After a lovely movie-crew-exclusive night of hanging out by the East River and watching Jelani eat a slice of pizza with gyro meat on top of it, we headed over to the 62nd st Clearview for the movie.  And just when we thought Hollywood had completely stopped making good movies, REAL MOTHERFUCKING STEEL!!!!  This movie is basically Tranformers meets Rocky, which turns out to be a fantastic combination.  Real Steel takes place in the near future, where even poor Huge Ackmans can afford smart phones, oh and did I mention THEY HAVE GIANT ROBOT FIGHTS WHERE THEY BEAT EACH OTHER TO DEATH! The film follows dead beat dad Huge Ackman, who gets stuck with his estranged son when his mom dies.  Hey its cool though, because this kid is really fucking good at fighting robots.  Ackman and his son go around beating the shit out of every robot they can find, until they make it to the big leagues, where they continue to brutally beat the shit out of other robots.  I loved this movie, especially the part where they fight a robot against a huge bull.  Its 2 hours of non-stop metal on metal, definitely one of the best movies of the year.

Ryan's Retort
Any movie that has a robot bonding montage is okay in my book. This movie was way better than I thought it was going to be. Who am I kidding? I knew I'd like it. Because fighting robots are always fucking awesome. And they are fucking awesome in this movie as well. I've always wanted my own fighting robot, but never as much as I do right now. I hope this movie becomes reality, that's how much I enjoyed it. Fuck real boxing. My favorite part is when the rambunctious young boy frolics through the streets with his newly acquired fighting robot pal, who can't help but accidentally knock everything out of his way. It's hilarious and I wish I was that kid. The things I would do to be the kid in this movie. I would kill 5 million babies for a robot best friend. But I digress. The only problem I had with Real Steel is that there was no ending. Everything but the final fight remains unresolved, including the fates of the little boy and his dad, Huge Ackmans. Or maybe it's just to be assumed that they never see each other again ever. I don't know. Either way, it doesn't really matter. This movie was fucking awesome, go see it so that they make another one.

Jelani's Take!

Real Steel was awesome. Plain and simple, it was a well-made movie from start to finish. I think that something can be said to the fact that regardless of its predictability, the story remained exciting and engrossing throughout. It's a tale you know very well by now; the underdog fights his (or in this case, its) way to the top, overcoming the myriad obstacles in the way. I found myself really rooting for the characters to come out on top in this one, and it was charming as hell. Oh! And robots beat the shit  out of one another. That's cool any way you slice it. All of the robots were unique and intricately designed, and it didn't hurt to have some Spielberg money to smooth the entire ensemble over and make it look as realistic as possible. Huge Ackman and whoever the hell that kid is play off each other flawlessly, with snappy banter and all around good chemistry. The fights are all great throughout. Diverse arenas, opponents, and stakes make for an entertaining experience that kept me awake the whole time. Wolverine as a deadbeat father and robot boxing buff gets 5 big stars in my book!

Overview
Rating: 5 out of 5 Gyro Pizzas
Did Jelani Fall Asleep: No.

No comments:

Post a Comment